- 1 large red onion- halved and sliced very thin
- 1 large yellow onion- halved and sliced thin
- 2 large sweet Vidalia onions- quartered and sliced thick
- 1 clove garlic minced
- pinch of crushed or fresh Rosemary
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 cups wine (red is best, but whatever you have open works)
- salt to taste (2 tsp)
- pepper to taste (2 tsp)
- Shredded cheese, (mozzarella, colby jack, provolone)
Saute red onions, minced garlic and Rosemary in 2 tbsp butter. Cook covered over medium heat until soft and carmelized, stirring often. Remove from cooked onions from pan, set aside and repeat with yellow onion and 2 tbsp butter. Remove cooked yellow onions, set aside and repeat with olive oil and Vidalia onions.
When Vidalias are golden brown, but still slightly firm, add cooked onions and remaining ingredients. Stir and remove from heat. Refrigerate overnight or 24 hours for best flavor. Reheat in crockpot.
When ready to serve, slice day old french, italian or other crusty bread into large croutons. Toast croutons under the broiler. Fill bowls and top with croutons and shredded cheese. Broil until cheese is golden and bubbly.